Since the formation of the Research and technological institute of optical materials all-Russia scientific center "S.I.Vavilov State Optical Institute", one of the key duties of the organization has been pilot production of materials in all directions established in VSOI. The institute has all the technologies and equipment necessary for the production process:
- technology for the production of glass-melting pots and stirrers from especially pure high-density quartz ceramic;
- technologies for growing optical crystals from solutions (water-soluble crystals), as well as using Chokhralsky and Stockbarger-Bridgman techniques;
- technologies for the production of optical polycrystalline substances using the hot recrystallization compression method and gaseous-phase growth method;
- gas and electric pot melting furnaces with high-frequency induction heating and a furnace with indirect electric heating used for optical, laser, and special glass melting;
- multipurpose equipment used for the production of all types of fibres: fibers preserving optical polarization, radiation-resistant fibres, fibres with special metal coatings, and photon-crystalline perforated fibres.